I was blasting a holiday music playlist while driving recently, and Presley’s Blue Christmas played. I couldn’t get the phrase “Christmas Cloning Blues” out of my mind, and by the time I arrived at my destination, this happened:
Cloning Blues Christmas
(to the tune of Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley)
I’ll have a blue Christmas without you
Colonies so blue, insert without you
Incubating my plates at 37 degrees
Won’t be the same if you’re not in lacZ
And all those blue colonies are forming
When my lab mates’ clonings are performing
They’ll be doing alright,
With their plates all filled with white
But I’ll have a blue, blue, blue cloning
They’ll be doing alright
But my insert’s not in sight
And I’ll have a blue, blue, blue cloning
Your writers at Promega Connections wish you nothing but successful clonings, PCR and cell culture this season—wherever your experiments take you. If you are having technical issues or just want some background before you begin, we have many resources to help you troubleshoot your experiments.
- Blue/White cloning blog with tips for success
- Cloning a PCR insert? We have blogs to guide you.
- Our Subcloning Guide on our website has advice on all things cloning to help you avoid the cloning blues.
- Our Student Resource Center has information to cover your entire workflow…from isolating DNA to PCR to Cloning to Downstream Analysis.
- More of a visual learner? That’s great. The Promega YouTube channel has an entire playlist covering everything cloning.
- Finally, Promega has amazing technical services scientists who can help you plan, troubleshoot and even celebrate your successes. Stumped and can’t find the answers on the website? Ask a technical services scientist for help.