10. Means of transportation on the high seas or emergency flotation device (pumpkin boats; see the video).
9. Elementary Math Lessons. Determine circumference and radius. How much does a pumpkin weigh? Estimate the number of seeds. Check out pumpkin math ideas here.
8. Cholesterol-lowering snack. After ruthlessly scooping out the innards of a pumpkin, clean the seeds, bake them in the oven and enjoy your healthy snack. Pumpkin seeds contain phytosterols, compounds that that have been shown to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol, as well as magnesium, a mineral needed in the diet.
7. Physics Laboratory. Pumpkin Chuckin’ Contest (video).
6. Soup Bowl.
5. Stress Reducer. Satisfy your destructive tendencies by taking after-Halloween pumpkins and dropping them from great height onto the ground. Bonus points for reuse as compost by smashing them onto potential gardening areas.
4. Pumpkin Beer. More stress relief. Recipe here.
3. Pet Dietary Supplement.
Kitty Kidney Diet
For cats, 1–2 tsp. per meal. Also a good source of liquid for those kitties that don’t drink enough water.
Use baked pumpkin to supplement your dog food. Serve dogs up to ½ cup per meal, as a good source of fiber and antioxidants.
Toss a pumpkin to your favorite elephant. He will smash it with a foot and then devour the delicious pieces.
2. Anti-Aging Facial Treatment. Be sure to use a wide, angled pastry brush to apply.
1. Extract DNA from Your Pumpkin (a method so simple even an parrot could do it).
Happy Halloween from your Promega Bloggers
Note: Parrot DNA extraction photo from http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/biology/pumpkin_dna/pumpkin_dna.html.
Latest posts by Promega (see all)
- Musings on the 2018 International Forum on Consciousness - June 6, 2018
- Kicking Off Summer with Some Cookout Favorites - May 25, 2018
- Which DNA Do I Use? How to Choose Your Control and Other DNA Samples - March 1, 2018