We decided to revisit a popular blog from our Promega Connections past for those of you in the amplification world. Enjoy:
- Modify reaction buffer composition to adjust pH and salt concentration.
- Titrate the amount of DNA polymerase.
- Add PCR enhancers such as BSA, betaine, DMSO, nonionic detergents, formamide or (NH4)2SO4.
- Switch to hot-start PCR.
- Optimize cycle number and cycling parameters, including denaturation and extension times.
- Choose PCR primer sequences wisely.
- Determine optimal DNA template quantity.
- Clean up your DNA template to remove PCR inhibitors.
- Determine the optimal annealing temperature of your PCR primer pair.
[Drum roll please]…and the most important thing you can do to improve your PCR results is:
- Titrate the magnesium concentration.
And if you want to, you can even build a custom PCR protocol using our iOS and Android device apps. Email it to your lab account, print it out for your notebook or just store it on your device for future reference.